2 chorizo sausages
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 red finger chillies
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
4 tbsp coconut or rice wine vinegar
Sliced cucumber, skin peeled off in strips and cut at an angle
Spring onions finely sliced diagonally
Coriander leaves to garnish
2 tbsp sunflower oil
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
300g, cooked and cooled basmati or jasmine rice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp coconut or rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
4 Purely Organic eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 240 C/ 464.
2. In a wok, heat the oil over a high heat. Add the chillies for 30 seconds to split the skins and soften slightly.
3. Remove the chillies from the pan, set aside, and add the chorizo to brown for a minute or two. Place the chillies and chorizo in an oven proof dish and transfer to the oven. Roast for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Peel the skins off the chillies and transfer to a pestle and mortar. Add the salt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Pound briefly until the chillies are broken down. Add the remaining vinegar, stir and set aside.
5. In a wok, heat 2 more tablespoons of oil over a medium heat and add the garlic. Fry for 3-4 minutes until it’s softened and just started to tinge caramel. Next, add the rice and stir fry for 2 minutes. Now add the fish sauce, coconut vinegar, (or rice wine vinegar) followed by the sugar. Stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
6. In a flat frying pan, add a further splash of oil and heat over a medium flame. Spread half of the rice into an even flat layer.
7. Make two holes in the rice and crack the eggs into them. With a spatula, spread the egg white around the rice. Allow the base of the rice to crisp up a little for 2-3 minutes, pressing down the edges of the rice with a spatula to squeeze out the starch and help it stick together. Allow the rice to go crisp and golden. Don’t worry if there is any char as this adds to the flavour.
8. For the perfectly cooked egg, place a lid on top of the pan for 2-3 minutes to steam the egg slightly.
9. With a spatula flip half of the rice over like an omelette, so the eggs sandwich together. Slide out of the pan onto a plate.
10. Repeat steps 6-9 with the other half of the rice.
11. Serve with a cooked chorizo sausage, a spoonful of chilli pickle, some slices of cucumber, sliced spring onions and a scattering of coriander leaves.