250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1⁄4 tsp turmeric
70g butter, chilled
100g mature cheddar, grated
80g whole milk
1 egg, beaten
3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
1 Purely Organic yolk
1 tsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 200*C/180*C fan. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Start with sifting all the dry ingredients, except the black pepper. Add the dry ingredients and butter to a mixer bowl and pulse, using a paddle attachment, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheddar and pulse again. Pour in the milk, egg and spring onions and bring all the ingredients together with your hands.The dough should be still crumbly.
3. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 5cm thick disc. Using a medium size cutter, cut out the scones and shape the leftover dough gently, without kneading it.
4. Place the scones on the lined baking tray and brush with the egg yolk mixed with water. Bake the scones until the tops are brown, for about 20-25 minutes.
5. Serve warm with fried eggs, butter, avocados or other breakfast favourites.