For the sage butter:
few whole sprigs of sage, leaves picked
a pinch of cayenne
freshly ground black
pinch sea salt flakes
For the Eggs en Cocotte:
2 slices thick cut smoked ham
4 Purely Organic eggs
100ml double cream
a decent pinch of salt
a good grating of nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
40g grated gruyere cheese
toast to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 230 C/ 446 ̊F
2. Season the cream with freshly ground black pepper, a good grating of nutmeg and salt. Stir to combine.
3. Place a slice of ham in the base of each cocotte dishes. Crack two eggs into each dish, on top of the ham. Divide the seasoned cream between each dish, and then sprinkle half of the grated gruyere cheese on top.
4. Place on a baking tray and then into the oven for 8 minutes, until the top has gratinated and the eggs are cooked, but still retain runny yolks.
5.Whilst the eggs are cooking, make the sage butter. Heat the butter in a small pan and add the sage. The sage will go bright green first and then crisp. Season with salt, cayenne and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Remove from the oven and pour half of the sage butter over the top of each.
7. Serve immediately with hot toast.